March 4, 2010

Tossing Around Virtualization



Here at Comrise, we hear the term "virtualization" tossed around an awful lot, whether it be by our clients, candidates, or industry competition. It is incredibly easy to lose the meaning to such a loaded term, so I thought it would be a great idea to kind of break it down and re-visit the basics of what virtualization stands for.


My favorite definition of virtualization comes from CIO.com:
"Virtualization refers to technologies designed to provide a layer of
abstraction between computer hardware systems and the software running on
them."

I agree with many experts that virtualization has been around for a while. IT administrators, like myself, have been partioning hard-drives for years. Personally, I think the best benefit to virtualization is the cost savings of not having unnecessary, redundant systems that eat up overhead costs. I love this video by VMware, available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnNX13yBzAU. The professional in this video makes great sense of the virtualization term.

Virtualization, in my opinion, became so popular and widespread to the abundant cost savings. Employing people and staffing projects to promote virtualization will save our clients money, since they're increased virtualization will save on server and overhead costs, as a very general example. We're excited and more than happy to help our clients with initiatives involving virtualization. I hope this short article has helped give you some insight into such a tossed-around, overused term.

No comments:

Post a Comment